English
English
Español
Français

User Access

WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RPS - Sidebar Ad - Giveaway
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Need a Metal Roof Solution?
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
New Tech Machinery - Sidebar Ad - Board & Batten
MetalCoffeeShop
English
English
Español
Français

I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MY...

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

vickie

What is the one thing you use in your job that you can't live with out?

Tool or Equipment (for installation) or Gadget (for business).

May 1, 2014 at 4:43 p.m.

Mike H

... ladder...

Litterally. I'm certain that without it, I'd be dead by now.

May 1, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.

Lefty1

Pen,paper,and reading glasses. The reading glasses I can do without if it is a bright sunny day. Pen and notebook and glasses are always with me.

May 1, 2014 at 6:11 p.m.

Old School

Tape measure and cell phone...Though at times I would love to heave the phone against the wall.

May 2, 2014 at 5:15 a.m.

GSD

cell phone, that's my office. as for out in the field, caulk gun, I can improvise for just about any other tool, except my caulk gun.

May 3, 2014 at 4:31 a.m.

copperman

My common sense. Having the ability to think through a problem and come up with a solution.

May 3, 2014 at 6:07 a.m.

TomB

My planner.....I'm old-school.....gotta have my planner w/me at all times.

May 4, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

Chuck2

Truck and ladder are the obvious answers. Beyond that, sure grip cushion, nail bar, tool belt, roofing hammer, utility knife, safety boards, rope for tying the ladder off and caulking gun.

I would add metal brake and grinder but I've bent enough metal over deck rails by hand and chopped out enough brick mortar over the years with a roofing hammer that I guess it proves those things are nice but optional.

May 5, 2014 at 6:13 a.m.

tinner666

copperman Said: My common sense. Having the ability to think through a problem and come up with a solution.

Yep! :)

May 5, 2014 at 8:33 p.m.

cts racing

My battery powered Dewalt kit: Hammer drill, Sawzall, Grinder, light, Circular saw. Plus I have a drill accessary kit with square, hex, star, flat & Phillips drivers, nut drivers, paddle bits, extensions, etc. Plus diamond blades & cut-off wheels for the grinder. Metal, wood, diamond sawzall blades. I specifically have the diamond blade for cast iron sewer pipes to cut the 'bell' (female end) off so a new pipe flashing can be installed. Lots of ammunition to tackle any job in any situation.

I have 5 batteries that keep me in operation and have them numbered so I can keep track of charged & need charged.

May 7, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

egg

My sense of humor. Without it the intense sobriety demanded by this occupation will just relentlessly grind you into powder. When your sense of humor goes on the blink it's like having a clogged fuel filter in your truck, and yes, I have to say my truck. Everything I need is in that thing. Computer close to that. Cellphone right behind that. Firepot right behind that. Estwing flat bar right behind that. And lunchbox. Got the estimate book, camera, and lunch in there. And my greenstone on my keyring. Glasses, of course. Thermos of tea. Quite a few things I can't live without, or think I can't. One of these days I'm going to really enjoy trying to do without all of them. Well, excepting a dictionary. Always have to have a dictionary. And Crimony...my pipe and Borkum Riff. Talk about a thoughtless, thankless addict. Wouldn't go anywhere without the pipe.

May 10, 2014 at 4:23 p.m.

natty

1. My air tools- Senco stapler and framepro, and a coil nailer (I am still trying to find one I like). I never would have gotten into roofing if I had to hand bang every nail. 2. My laddervatter- this is the key to my longevity. 3. My chevy 1 ton dually dump truck. Perfect tear off tool for residential roofing. Bought it new in '82 and kept me going to '05. Now, I just work out of my pickup and order a 10 yard dumpster for certain whole roof tear offs.

May 19, 2014 at 4:45 p.m.

Mike H

I supposed I could get along OK without my ladder these days. It's rare that a customer doesn't have a hatch.

The one tool that I'm pretty darn sure I could not do this without is my........ wife. She keeps me on track.

May 22, 2014 at 12:52 a.m.

Still lovin the pain

Coffee in the morn. Gotta get started with coffee and computer..the rest is easy and quite enjoyable EVERYDAY Oh and my most important is GOD without him/her I would be F.....

May 22, 2014 at 10:00 a.m.

wywoody

I need my safety BELT and tile hangers. This is my new belt, back when they had to be replaced with harnesses (early 90's?) I had about a dozen of them. Since I, as an owner am exempt, I continued to use them and just recently threw away the last of my old ones. I know if I were to go over the edge, a harness would be better. But I also know how much safer and maneuverable I am on the roof with a belt, ascender and climbing rope compared to my employees in a fully compliant harness, lanyard and rope.

The hanger is bent to fit over a tile in the field for storage of tile and tools.

I also have to admit I need employees to help get me going. If I have employees working, the trucks roll out at between 7:15 and 7:30. If I'm just by myself it might be 8:30.

May 28, 2014 at 1:06 a.m.

egg

Nice post, woody. Nice floor, too.

If I'm just by myself well "it might be one o'clock and it might be three...time don't mean that much to me...I got my plans I don't know about you...tell y'exactly what I'm agonna do-o..." (60's Rolling Stones I think) Been setting gopher traps in the morning lately and then going to work. So far I've only gotten one, but I definitely nailed him. Maybe I skeered the others off. Hardly.

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WSCRA - Banner - RCS Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Need a Metal Roof Solution?
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
New Tech Machinery - Sidebar Ad - Board & Batten